Laundry Room Reno With Birch Tree Shelves

We started the laundry room renovation in October 2014 and it took about three months to complete. It doesn’t look like it needed much work, but the vanity had a lot of water damage around the bottom so we knew we had to replace that. And then we replaced the almond coloured toilet to match the…

Living And Dining Room Renovation

When we moved in, the living and dining areas felt very small and dark and outdated. There was a funny half wall between the dining area and living room that was really unnecessary. We wanted to take down that wall to make it all move open. Before we could do that though, Tony had to remove…

Front Hall Painted Wood Trim

It’s amazing how much a bit of paint can update a space. The front hall was fine other than the wood trim and wood bi-fold doors on the closets. All we did in the front hall was replace the closet doors with some white colonial bi-folds, and paint the trim white. I painted everything with the…

1990s Outdated Oak Staircase Makeover

The stair renovation was by far the most difficult project we did in our house. In hindsight, we maybe should have gotten a contractor to sand and stain our upstairs floors and the stairs, but I guess our attitude is “why would we hire someone when we can do it ourselves?”. The stairs were all…

90’s Oak Painted Kitchen

When we bought our house, the kitchen was very orange. The cabinets were solid oak and they were in great shape, but the colour just made them look outdated. The wall colour didn’t help either, more orange. And of course the trim was all 90’s wood too. At one point we talked about removing this wall, in…

The To-Do List for Our Third House

This is a list of everything that we have done and would like to do on our house yet: Front hall Replace and paint closet doors Replace front door New front door handle Paint trim Play room Replace patio door Replace laminate floor with hardwood Install trim Paint trim Paint walls Update fireplace Change light…

Third House – Before Pictures

Our third house was a 1990s split level on a 1 acre lot on a quiet street in Ingleside, ON. We bought it in November 2013. When we first saw the house we thought it was dark, dirty and outdated, but it had lots of potential for improvement. We knew we didn’t want to live…

Second House – Downstairs Pictures

Our second house was a brand new 1450 square foot raised bungalow near Winchester, ON. We bought it in August 2011 and it had everything we wanted in a house. We loved the 2 acre lot because it had lots of trees. Most of the projects we did in this house was painting, and a lot of yard…

First House – Bungalow Basement

There was a lot of work to do in the basement of our first house. The bottom four feet of drywall was missing from the whole basement. There was a spare room, but it was very big, so we decided to move a wall to make the family room bigger and the spare room smaller.…

First House – Living Room

The living room in our first house was a good size, it just needed a bit of TLC. There were bullet holes in the wall, the flooring was laminate and it was bubbling around the front door from water damage. The front window was old and leaking so we also wanted to replace that. We…

First house – before

We bought our first house in November 2007. It was a small fixer upper bungalow in Williamsburg, Ontario that had been possessed by the bank. The house was in very rough shape, but it was a great price. We never even saw the house before be bought it, but my father-in-law was our real estate agent…

Spray painted picture frame collage

I bought these plain wood frames from a yard sale for $1 for a whole box. There was a mix of sizes, but these were the ones I thought worked best for a picture frame collage. I sanded them down lightly, then did about three coats of Rust-oleum painter’s touch spray paint in key lime…

Formula can vases

Here’s a quick and inexpensive project to add a bit of colour to a room! I took three empty baby formula cans, cleaned them and removed the labels. Then I cut fabric in a strip to the height of the can. I applied a layer of mod-podge on the can, wrapped the fabric around it,…