After we finished building our house, another thing on our to-do list was to finish the closet organization and add built in shelving. I’m going to show you how we designed our closets, built all our custom shelving, and organized the spaces so you can draw some inspiration for your own home.
After we moved into our house we still had a lot of other finishing work to do, so the closets went to the bottom of the list. We had boxes of stuff piled high in every room, because we had nowhere to put it and organize it nicely. Built in shelving adds so much storage space to even the smallest closet, and is pretty easy to do if you have basic tools and skills. We finally finished up the closets this past month and I was able to unpack the rest of our boxes!
Bedroom Closet Organization
The two kids bedrooms have the same closet configuration. We used white melamine for all the shelving, and primed mdf for all the shelf supports. We added a center column with five shelves. On each side there are two closet rods for hanging clothes.
Linen and Front Hall Closet
Master Bedroom Closet
How To Build Your Own Custom Shelving
- Measure your closets and make a plan. You can find a diagram of the dimensions we used for our closets at the end of this post
- Measure your shelves and cut all your pieces. (You can do this in stages in case anything changes as you go!)
- Screw the shelf support pieces into the studs, making sure they are level. We did supports at the back and sides of the closets
- Install the upright pieces, making sure they are square to the wall
- Install the top shelf next. Pre-drill holes, then screw into the upright pieces from the top down
- Add the closet rods, then put the shelf pieces on top
- Finish off the shelving by pre-drilling from the sides through the upright pieces, and then screwing into the shelves
We’re on the same project this week! We’re using the IKEA Algot system in the nursery, and we’re setting it up a lot like your boy’s closet. Yours looks great!!
Thanks! I love Ikea, I’m sure your closet will turn out great too!
This is a dream for me! I love it. I could use a closet makeover for several of the closets in my home.
Thanks so much!
my husband would kill for a closet makeover… mainly because I have taken over most of it haha! this looks awesome!
haha ours is half and half right now, but I”m sure I’ll start taking over more of it soon!
I’m loving the custom shelving! I am in desperate need of organization like this!
Camille Thomson says
What great ideas to organize your space! Got me all inspired!
Glad I could be an inspiration for you!
Ola Broom says
I LOVE this! Great job. I’d like to try building out our hall closet. It’s rather small, and it really doesn’t make sense to buy a closet outfit. This would be perfect.
I love custom shelving! Great job! I wish my closets were that organized! Adding that to my to-do list! 🙂
These look GORGEOUS. Our new house came with a few built in components in the closets. Eventually I’d like to customize them for our own use, but it’s been awesome. 🙂
Looks amazing! My dream closets!
Ohhh those are absolutely lovely! Well done!!
Jessie Krieger says
These look really nice, definitely make my organizing loving heart happy! I love how they look custom, but for half the cost.
That looks amazing! Love those closests! You are doing such a great job!
UP Mēbeles says
Nice built in closets in Latvia – https://up-mebeles.lv/