The basement spare bedroom was a very hot pink when we moved in. It also had a lot of small holes in the wall from posters and pictures. The room is not very big, but it has two large closets which are great for storage.
The first thing I did in this room was repair and sand all the walls. Then I did a coat of primer to cover the hot pink paint.
This room felt very small and dark, and I wanted it to feel bright and not like a basement bedroom. The colour I chose for the walls is Benjamin Moore’s Simply White. I did an eggshell finish on the walls, and semi-gloss on the doors and trim in the same colour. I had to do two coats of paint on everything.
I thought it might feel a bit monotone, but with a few accessories and bedding I think it really brightens up the space.
This is the wall that the door is on. The dresser came from my parents place – I may refinish it someday when I have some extra time. I got the mirror from a yard sale for $5. It was originally white, but I painted it using a a sample pot of Behr paint from Home Depot. The colour I used is Placid Sea.
The bed used to be plain wood with slatted head and foot boards. We got the bed for free when we were first married, and I wanted to make it more of an upholstered bed. First I painted it using American Decor chalk paint in the Relic. It’s a dark grey colour with almost a hint of blue. I got this chalk paint from Michaels. I used three of the small containers, but using a coupon they each were about $8. Then I finished it by using Minwax finishing paste, applied using a lint free cloth.
Tony cut some thin plywood to fit inside the headboard and footboard area. I cut some foam to the same size as the plywood, wrapped it with batting, and then wrapped the fabric around the foam and plywood, pulled the fabric tight, and stapled it all on the back. The fabric is actually a shower curtain that I got from Winners for under $20. To attach the upholstered headboard and one side of the footboard I pre-drilled holes in the slats and screwed the upholstered section to the slat. For the other side of the footboard, I used PL premium and clamps to attach it.
My whole colour scheme for the room started with these fabric pillow cases. I loved that bright yellow fabric paired with the turquoise colour. I bought the flower fabric on Etsy. It is a Heather Bailey fabric called Picnic Bouquet in gold. The turquoise fabric is quilting cotton that I got from Fabricland.
This bedroom was one of the first rooms I finished in our house. I love how much a bit of paint and fabric can change a space, and make it feel more comfortable for our guests.
Free Home Building Worksheet
Subscribe for a custom worksheet for your new construction.